Turing Pi 1 and CM4s
# │forum
s
Does anyone know if this will work? I’ve acquired a few CM4s boards with 8gb mmc. I’m guessing it should just work it’s just power I wonder about a little.
d
Do you mean CM4S, like a model, or "s" at the end is just a plural?
CM4S-es are pretty unobtainable right now, much more than CM4, so that's be interesting
Otherwise, if you mean regular CM4, I'm unsure how would you like to use it with Turing Pi 1? In this case I might be missing something.
s
Nope there’s a seller in the UK who’s selling some CM4S modules with 1gb ram and 8gb mmc and they’re definitely in cm3 format. I’m guessing they’ll just work as long as I have a recent OS version but was curious if anyone else has tried
One has arrived and another two are on their way
d
Oh, that's interesting
These modules were pretty unobtainable so far, so there's not much knowledge about them
They should be a drop-in replacement, yes, but there are some downsides - they're slower than CM4s, but, of course, faster than CM3s, the network is 100Mb/s (same as in CM3), etc
I think you might be the first to try them out in TPi1 🙂
d
Hehe 🙂
Let us know about the results 🙂
s
Definitely will do. Am hoping a lite version turns up soon that I could try in my free play cm3 but not expecting miracles 😂
d
They might show up sometimes later during the year. The shortages should be over by the end of this year
s
I have a 5 node pi4 8gb cluster and full DeskPi Super6c already and cm3 lites for the tp1 so I don’t need them… but 😅
d
Yeah, I fully understand 😄
s
j
@SimD did that end up working?
s
I got distracted by the tp2 arriving. But I did flash all seven and put them in place so it’s a start 😀
j
Hi @SimD , Where can I get the CM4S?
s
j
@SimD did it end up booting with these?
s
Waiting for a new psu as my previous had been used elsewhere since but I can’t see why it shouldn’t
Seems to work well 😀
Worked fine now I’ve finally got around to testing it 😀
j
nice!
d
Did you try to run them fully loaded yet?
s
Not yet was just happy they worked tbh. My TP1 is caseless so airflow is pretty good. Any suggestions for stress testing them?
d
s
Ok have left stress -c 4 running for 75 minutes now and no kernel messages and get around 77.9 C temp using vcgencmd measure_temp
d
Nice!
On all nodes?
s
Only checked temp in one but it was running on them all
d
Ah, so it's table then. That's super nice.
Maybe one day I can get TPi1 for myself somehow too 🙂
t
If you don’t mind one that isn’t perfectly mint… I can send you one
d
Oh, that'd be cool. I might even try to fix it maybe.
t
it's possible it just needs a reflow oven, but I really don't know whats wrong
a heat sink on the Ethernet switch is essential