Custom Acrylic Case
# │forum
m
I am currently working on a custom acrylic case for the Turing Pi 2. The last piece I am working on is the IO shield and then I will open source the files and link them here. Edit: Here is the repo with the case files https://github.com/michaelriedl/turing-pi-2-case
d
Hi
I really like this design, will look awesome with the lights on 🙂
As for the IO shield, you should be able to use this one, maybe: https://discord.com/channels/754950670175436841/754950670175436848/1067744402925170708
m
Thanks! I ended up just using some calipers to measure before I saw your message. I got close enough that I can't see any gaps around the ports haha
d
Well thanks for opening the design looks good and at least it can be modified for a space for 2 x SATA drives.
m
Glad you like it. I think there’s definitely a couple places with wiggle room to squeeze in those drives if someone wanted to make the necessary modifications
Here’s my final build
t
@michaelriedl did you cut the acrylic yourself or have someone do it for you?
m
I cut it myself on a Glowforge
t
Very nice. I was reading up one of those machines. You like it?
m
Yeah it's worked really well for the couple of years that I've had it
u
Nice! I think I need this.
Let us know how the NVMe temps run.
d
I'm hoping @michaelriedl get's round to completing Jeffs Turing Pi Cluster tutorial. Because it documents using 2x SSD drives to make a zfs share https://github.com/geerlingguy/pi-cluster
d
I do like this case, has anyone tried ordering the cut acrylic online? Not sure how easy this is, or what the cost would be.
m
I can try to run some stress tests soon to see how they do
The ordering should be pretty easy. You just upload the DXF files. Not sure about the cost
d
I did try with plasticsheetsshop.co.uk which seems to accept the top/base plates but threw an error on the others: "Your shape contains a possibly fragile inside angle (90.00 degrees) at point X: 423.84, Y: 215.03. Therefore it is not possible to order your DXF. Use a small radius to prevent damage and re-upload your design!" I've not had a chance to try other sites.
m
Interesting. I’ll take a look at the design and see where that is. I can probably round that corner
d
Thanks, prices didn't seem to bad, and didn't seem much more expensive for Neon Green other the basic clear...
u
I don't see the front panel in the fusion360 file. When you cut it do you just export the back panel without the holes?
m
I think the way I duplicated it caused it to become a component instead of a body. It is component1 in fusion360. I probably did just edit the exported rear panel DXF in Illustrator to create the front panel DXF but I don't remember
I rounded the interior corners that were causing the issue. I tested the upload on the site and it seemed to accept the new file. I put the files here: https://github.com/michaelriedl/Turing-Pi-2-Case/tree/main/dxf/plasticsheetsshop-co-uk
u
Thanks @michaelriedl . `New to mechanical. Most of my experience is modeling for animation. Most recently Blender. It seems that if I want to play with this fusion360 is the way to go. Do you think that the free version is feature complete enough for some basic changes? I get parametric, and it looks promising. I don’t know how to get Blender to preserve structure from fusion project files. Is that even possible? I’d like to hear more about your workflow. Somebody mentioned OnShape, and I like working on an iPad Pro with pencil. I wonder what workflows people like in that environment.
About those ideas.: I’d like to make room for two 2.5” SATA drives underneath. Thinking about moving the mobo up on a tray mid plane. Maybe starting with @DhanOS (Daniel Kukiela) thingaverse tray extended to corner mounts on the legs. The tray would also serve as a baffle to route air down the front and back to the side exhaust ports. The bottom would have the SDD drives mounted to it. Maybe aluminum doubling as a heat sink. It would be removable similar to the top for access to SD and nvme drives. They tray height must accommodate nvme dives + SSD height + airflow. Thoughts?
d
Both free OnShape and free Fusion 360 will let you do probably everything you need. I'm using OnShape but lately trying to learn Fusion 360 too
d
I've been using the free version of Fusion 360 for quite awhile, typical hobbyist design and print stuff, and have yet to run into a situation where the free version doesn't suffice. Looking at this design (and having started printing legs and ordering the acrylic), you should be good to go to modify as needed with free Fusion 360.
m
As others have already stated, the free version is definitely feature complete enough. You could recreate the entire design with the free version. Additionally, adding new holes to the acrylic pieces could be done in a vector image editor that can manipulate DXF files. I have access to Illustrator and use that for some edits.
u
Thanks folks! Time for me to learn fusion 360.
d
Thanks, now ordered from plasticsheetsshop.co.uk - I'll let you know how they turn out.
m
Awesome! I’m excited to see how other people’s builds turn out
d
Fluorescent Green, just need to choose a filament color for the 3d printed parts.
m
Do you have any recommended tests? I've been just running a bunch of large iozone tests sequentially for like 5-10 min. Haven't seen temps above 36C
u
I’ve no particular expertise in the area. That seems like a good way to torture the drives. I wouldn’t want to do it too long and add wear. Mostly I’m just interested to know that this case would work under full thermal load. I hope to build one out with four RK1 modules, each with nvme. Maybe another one with a full house of Orins. For now though it’s CM4s - so just two SATA drives and no nvme.
s
@michaelriedl I tried opening the dxf files in Corel and it doesn’t seem to like them. I think the fusion360 stuff is too new? Is there a way to export the files so they open in illustrator 15 or Corel?
Trying to provide to a friend with a setup so they can add some customizations for me but we’re struggling
m
Can you see if they can open this one? I exported it with an earlier AutoCAD version. If it works, I can re-export all of the files and push them to the repo
Also try this one. This is the oldest version I can export
I do not have expertise in the area either haha. I just got mine configured with SLURM. Running a CM4 as the head node and 3 Jetson Nanos as the compute nodes each with their own NVMe drive. I'm going to run some large object detection inference jobs soon, hopefully. I can let you know what the temps look like during one of those runs. At least with the stress test I tried, the temps seem reasonable. I have the low noise adapter on the fan so it could run even faster if needed
u
I tried Blender too, but quickly realized: 1. For making mods you really want to stick with procedural solid modeling. A mesh editor is less than ideal. And you risk fidelity problems in translation. 2. All of the assembly info is in the .f3d file. You lose that switching tools. So for me the path of least resistance was to spend a weekend learning to use the free version of Fusion 360. It’s very approachable. I wound up forking Michael’s project so that I could follow Rule #1 and use components. I’m starting with his sketches and modeling from there. Following his footsteps in the time line helped a lot in learning Fusion. I’ll have one component for each part which should make it easier to iterate ideas. Each part will have its own timeline. I’ll push it once I get a first draft.
`Sounds cool. I’m want to minimize noise, so I’m thinking about adding a PWM fan controller on the back panel next to the IO box. The 2 SATA drives are going on the base plate. Any suggestion on how much space is needed from the tp2 board to the base to allow enough height for nvme + sata? I’m thinking of budgeting 10mm for sata ssds, but not sure what the nvmes need. (Then add air flow space).