https://turingpi.com logo
#│forum
Talos CM4 Node 3
# │forum
a

axel2094

02/13/2024, 1:58 PM
Hi all, I know this has been discussed to death already but I'm trying understand if there's a working workaround for the boot issue when trying to run Talos on Node3. https://github.com/siderolabs/talos/issues/7358 If I were to rebuild the Talos image with u-boot v2024.01 could I expect it to work or is additional work needed? Apologies again for the forum post, but I'm struggling to find the current threads in the chat channel! Thanks!
c

cfsworks

02/13/2024, 8:47 PM
The other necessary fix is [this commit]() landing in Linux 6.8, which stops the kernel from panicking on boot. It can be easily applied to 6.1/6.6 though.
a

axel2094

02/13/2024, 10:22 PM
Ah righty thank you!
I've been able to build u-boot and kernel images for amd64. The hardest part was working out which patches were needed. Now having trouble building for arm64, think I'd be better off finding an arm system to do the build as the emulation is so slow!
c

cfsworks

02/19/2024, 8:11 PM
Install your distro-of-choice's packages for
aarch64-none-elf-gcc
, then you can set these environment variables once:
export ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-elf-
...and Linux and U-Boot's buildsystems will both understand from that what you expect. By the way, you're far from the only person to apply these patches to get Talos usable on a CM4 in slot 3. I think there are already-patched images out there (not that I could quickly find one with a 2 minute GitHub search) that you might want to use instead, unless you enjoy the challenge of compiling all this stuff yourself. 🙂
a

axel2094

02/19/2024, 9:34 PM
Thanks, I have managed to get everything built and the image now boots. Was a cool little learning experience. Deffo underestimated it, but was nice to go through everyone's contributions and learn how to build everything. Thank you for your help!
b

bplein

03/18/2024, 6:50 PM
Thank goodness I've found this thread. Just ran into this problem today.
Does this also affect RK1? I guess I'll find out at the end of the week when mine come in...
m

m0lok

04/05/2024, 11:45 PM
It happend to me with nixos on cm4 but ubuntu was fine. now on the RK1 is happening too with ubuntu
nevermind... it was my fault