NVIDIA Jetson Orin Nano
# │forum
m
I'm curious to know if it will ever be possible to be used with the TuringPi2 or will we be stuck with the Nano TX2. It has the same 260-pin SO-DIMM connector but I guess there must be some firmware/hardware shenanigans which is required to make it works. https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/solving-entry-level-edge-ai-challenges-with-nvidia-jetson-orin-nano/
d
I also await confirmation with impatience and more particularly at the level of the Orin NX 16 ... (x4 on Turing PI 2)
s
This has been brought up multiple times. The new modules are not pin-compatible with the current ones. So unless by some magical coincidence the pin layouts overlap in essential functionality and everything else is optional, no these won't work.
s
I believe this has been discussed before. Nvidia docs said the form-factor is compatible, albeit with some loss of functionality such as csi camera, etc, but main functionality and pcie will be compatible for the most part. The orin nx or orin nano is still not publicly available, so there is no testing on compatibility yet, but in theory they should be compatible.
d
Hello Silven, What official document or Nvidia communication are you basing your assertions on? Because for me, one of the strengths of the Jetson Family (apart from AGX which has its own socket) is that all these SoMs have the same 260-pin SO-DIMM connector and that if some functions may not be carried over from one generation to another, on the whole it remains compatible. I am really curious to know your sources of information because I was waiting for the tests to know what changed (functionality) but not in a total incompatibility. Thanks
s
This has been discussed before. The pinout is different. Please use the search.
d
OK, thanks Silvén. I will be patient. From what I can read, these are just guesses, nothing official. Same form factor, but what changes is that it uses pins that had been "reserved", so without testing or validation from nvidia or the Turing Pi team (for JetsonOrin "260" compatibility with the Turing Pi board 2) it is urgent to wait. Afterwards, I saw that since yesterday, nvidia has put the Jetson Nano back on sale at $149 (https://www.arrow.com/en/products/945-13450-0000-100/nvidia). I will buy 3 more if Orin is incompatible with TPI2. Have a good day
m
even though it's been discussed, having a topic for this makes more sense then searching on a past chat 1-2 month ago. hence my query btw, based on a NVIDIA moderator > Yes, it would be possible but as noted in the guide, not all Orin NX or Orin Nano features can be used on Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/so-the-jetson-orin-nano-will-work-with-the-xavier-nx-carrier-board/229168 Also, I don't have access to the document but there seems to be a technical documentation on the interface comparaison. https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-orin-nano-series-jetson-orin-nx-series-and-jetson-xavier-nx-series-interface-comparison
so my guess would be that if the carrier board is compatible, there is a way to makes the TPI2 compatible...
s
Glad you had the energy to compose the information.
d
That's all the info on the changes to the slot pinouts
same for NX and Nano
d
Nice, thank you for sharing
So they replaced: - Display port 0 for USB - CSI4 for PCIe 2 (CS4 is not being utilized by Jetson non-Orin and TP2? But this also menas no access to these PCIe lanes) - DSI (not used in TP2) and the rest of Display port 0 are now reserved (for future use?) - MMC for PCIe2 and PCIe3 (not in use in TP2?)
d
So only the DP to USB is an issue for the TP2?
d
Actually, TP2 supports only HDMI and only for the Node 1
But I might be missing something here
d
well the HDMI CEC pin is between the DP pins, so they probably do double duty
but yeah, if you don't shove it on the first slot it might work
d
I mean they're still at the same position and TP2 does not utilize Display port 0 (so it does not matter they changed these pins to USB)
From what we've heard from nsky, Orin modules might work in TP2, they will test them. Pin compatibility is one thing, but there's also max power consumption that needs to be checked