info on ITX case
# │forum
u
I was wondering if there are any news on the custom ITX case, which was announced to be build when reaching 1m mark?!
n
Not yet. Right now focus on delivering Ks orders and building a stock for the next year. Will start working on the case soon
n
Silly question.. assuming this case isn’t included (free!) 🤣🤣🤣 ?
d
There are no silly questions 🙂 The case, similarly to other add-ons like RK1 or I/O shield (which were also stretch goals) are not included. You can buy them additionally (I mean RK1 and the case once they're available, but the I/O Shield is available already)
n
Thanks! What exactly is the RK1 and how would it be used? In what situation would the shield be necessary also?
d
RK1 is a compute module that's being crated in-house by the Turing Pi Team. It's like Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 or Jetson devices (like Nano, Xavier, etc). The advantage of RK1 vs CM4 is better CPU ( faster cores), more RAM (up to 32 GB) and more PCIe lanes which also means NVMe access. They're the biggest.
I/O Shield is what you put in the back of your case where all of the motherboard ports are, this meatal piece to cover everything except the ports
n
Ok thanks again. Is it reasonable to expect that you will be able to order these extra components in the future outside of your original order? E.g. when I order case order an RK1? I would be able to add an I/O Shield. Another question, is the I/O shield required if you are going to use the case?
d
Currently there's no way to make an order that does not contain Turing Pi 2 but this should change. In general - yes, because Turing Pi Team is working on a case and RK1 modules, but people are getting their boards already. The I/O Shield is not necessary, it just neatly covers the empty space around the ports.
n
Ok yes, makes sense that people are going to want to add components to add / expand or change their setup! I am waiting for the first person to make the greatest K8s write up 🙂
d
There are going to be some writeups for sure 🙂