Powered Up New Turing Pi 2 & It Just Sits There
# │forum
s
Hello All ... Got my Turing Pi 2 the other day. Been waiting for this moment since before the fall of modern civilization. I bought a nice Mini ITX case and a power supply. I wired everything up. Put heat sinks on the Raspberry Pi CM4 modules and slotted them righteously. I wired the Front IO panel appropriately. Plugged it all in, turned it on. And nothing. The NODE1 (amber colored) Power Light comes on, flashes a couple of times, then stops. The green light beside the 24-pin ATX Power Supply is on. I've got the unit connected to a monitor via HDMI cable. Turn it on, blink blink blink, then nothing. Call me crazy, but it's supposed to do more than this, yes? I'm not entirely sure what to do next. Is there a Magic Incantation I failed to recite? Any suggestions would be welcome. Sincerely ... StephenStrangeWare
w
did you power up the nodes? Also, do you have the CM4s flashed already or are you going to flash it through the TPi2?
d
Did you put the CR2032 battery in? If yes, remove it
Amber color is BMC network activity, not the node power
Node power LEDs are red
To power the nodes on you can use
key1
on the motherboard, for testing purposes. Press it for 1s for the nodes to start
s
It is ALIVE !!!
d
s
Questions: I did not put the CR2032 battery in. I'm having a little difficulty figuring out how to open that door without breaking it off. Is the CR2032 battery necessary? Next, is a Network Connection necessary?
d
The battery, in general, is not necessary. To be honest, you probably won't see a difference since the correct BMC time is not really exposed anywhere besides it's logs
The board won't boot with the battery due to RTX battery bug - are you aware of it?
To remove the battery push the metal part towards outside, the battery should pop out
Network connectivity is not necessary to boot the nodes. If you want inter-connection, you'll have to set static IPs for each of the nodes (the nodes are connected via embedded switch and without a router (usually) there will be no DHCP to assign the IPs automatically)
s
I saw a mention of the RTX Battery Bug. So I'll forego the battery for now.
But, like I said, you do not need a battery at all, at least for now
s
I unplugged the Front IO cable from the panel thinking maybe faulty wiring was the reason it didn't power up. Will wiring the Front IO panel spare me from having to hit the KEY1 button to power everything up?
d
key1
and power button on the front panel do exactly the same thing, you can use any
s
Can you refer me to a definitive "How to interact with the Turing Pi 2 and the CM4 modules installed therein" guide?
d
There are the help pages to look at probably: https://help.turingpi.com/hc/en-us
You probably want to look at these in
Getting started
s
Awesome, thanks ... Lastly, I can't get any response from keyboard or mouse. I have two keyboards, one that's USB wired, another (along with the mouse) that's Logitech USB dongle connected. I can't get any response from either keyboard or mouse connection. Is there something (additionally) that I'm overlooking?
d
What are you trying to do? Where are you connecting them and what is your expectation?
s
I connected the wired keyboard to one of the USB ports on the Turing Pi 2 board. I'm being prompted to log into one of the Operating Systems I loaded on one of the CM4s. But it isn't accepting input. I tried to use the USB Dongle connection for keyboard and mouse, from the on-board USB connector. No dice this far.
d
Ok, so there are 2 types of USb ports at the back
The blue ones are USB 3.0 and they are connected to node 4
The white one, USB 2.0 is the one that you used to flash the modules, it can be used, with CM4s, to connect some device to any module (one at a time)
Remember the command to put the USB mode into the device mode? Set it to host to given node and connect the device
This, however, might not work with Node 1 with some boards - Node is known for having some USB connectivity issues
Does this answer your questions?
s
Yes, kind of. I'm a little behind on the details and making assumptions that aren't quite panning out. Does the Getting Started Guide walk me through the USB details you spoke of? Particularly, the "Remember the command to put the USB mode into the device mode? Set it to host to given node and connect the device" bit. Suffice it to say, I'm not up on those details quite yet. I need to know how to traverse nodes and use the white USB keyboard connection.
d
The docs explain this. Also, you don't have to use commands, you can use the web panel to set the USB mode and which node it is connected to.
s
The Web Panel? Awesome. The docs explain this too, yes?
(Silly Question Time)
d
There are no silly questions, just silly answers 😉
Yes, the docs mention the web panel too
s
The Web Panel is the BMC Web Interface, yes?
d
Yes, correct
s
Great, thanks a bunch. You've been inordinately helpful.
🙂
d
Happy to help 🙂
s
Do changes made via the Web Panel take place immediately, or do they require a restart?
d
They do take place immediately
s
And the two blue USB plugs on the Turing Pi 2 board are associated with Node 4, correct?
d
Yes, along with a USB 3.0 connector on the board (for the front panel)
s
How about HDMI? When I power everything up, I see a logon for Ubuntu Linux, which I loaded a while ago on one of the CM4s. How do I determine which CM4 I'm looking at here?
Which node is connected to HDMI?
I should know this, I'm embarrased to say
d
It's node 1
s
Thought so. The diagram looks like it's going to GPIO so I wasn't sure
That didn't quite make sense
I can't for the life of me get the keyboard to work with the CM4 plugged into Node 1. You mentioned USB issues with Node 1. So if I set the USB to another Node, how do I see what I'm doing on that Node, if Node 1 is HDMI?
d
Well, this is kind of unfortunate indeed. With Jetson modules, which cannot use this USB port in a host mode (because of the Jetson module design), I used a Mini PCie USB controller
Why do you need a keyboard? The idea here is it;s a cluster that you access remotely,no keyboard interaction should be needed
s
If a Mini PCie USB controller will allow me to interact directly (rather than headlessly) when the need arises, I'll get one. But right now, I want to interact directly. Will a MiniPCIe USB controller allow me to interact directly via mouse and keyboard? Headless is great, but initially, direct is kinda necessary in my experience with these devices.
d
The thing about the headless part is that only Node 1 has a HDMI and the idea is the Node 1 might be indeed a main node to control the whole cluster
> Will a MiniPCIe USB controller allow me to interact directly via mouse and keyboard? I checked one with Jetson and CM4 modules (with Raspberry Pi OS and Ubuntu, can't say for another OS-es) and it worked out of the box
But here's another challenge - the TPi2 board contains 2 standoffs, and one is on a way of this module and it has to be desoldered (it's easy if you have a soldering iron)
Can you do that?
s
Without destroying the device?
My wife is a metalsmith and has an oxy-acetalene torch. Will that work?
🙂
d
I would rather not use torches 😛
s
You're saying the PCIe card needs to be desoldered?
d
Yeah, that'l make for a very crisp TP2 board
d
A standoff
s
That's one of the bridges I had intended to cross eventually. But maybe I'll focus on headless.
d
This way:
This one:
The USB module:
You can see the hole and why it had to be removed
w
The one I bought I did not remove the standoff and it worked with Orin 😮
Maybe I was lucky to not destroy my mini PCIe board
d
Maybe, LOL 😄
s
... do you happen to know whether the common ASM1061-based Mini-PCIe to 2xSATA boards tend to be half-length, or whether they also need the standoff removed?
d
They're half-length
The full-length USB controller, for comparison:
s
Thanks! 🙂
s
Greetings ...
Not sure if I can pick up an existing thread here, or if I should start a new one ...
I'll start a new one
New topic, after all