SATA drives not detected
# │forum
n
I have a Turing Pi 2 with a Nano Jetson in slot 1 and CM4s in slots 2-4,. The CM4s are running Ubuntu 23.04 and, in slot 3, there's an 8GB RAM/32GB eMMC module. My problem is that this node won't show any SATA drives that I've tested (2x12TB Arsenals and a 6TB Toshiba) as connected.
lsblk
shows the eMMC (mmcblk0) and snaps mounted on loop* but my 6TB & 12TB drives won't show. Any ideas on what I should be looking at/for?
d
Try to install
linux-modules-raspi-extra
via
apt
, restart the node and see if this helped
n
Looks like it's
linux-modules-extra-raspi
on 23.04 because, why not, but it's installing now.
Well, it was a good thought but no joy -- still just the eMMC and loop devices.
d
Any chance to test under Ubuntu 22.0 LTS (with this package) or Raspberry Pi OS (works out of the box and will be the best test)?
I mean RPi OS would just let us make sure things are working in general
n
Possibly. I used Raspberry Pi's handy new installer and was surprised when it installed 23.04.
d
You mean Raspberry Pi Imager? YOU have to choose a distro there, it is not choosing it for you
n
Ah, sure enough, I didn't scroll down far enough or read close enough. Anyway, imaging it with Raspberry Pi OS now.
OK, I've now tested slot 3 with three different CM4s running Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) and Ubuntu 22.04 (64 bit) (with
linux-modules-extra-raspi
) with three different drives, using an external 450w power supply. I can hear the drives spin up when the node boots; however, lsblk only shows the eMMC and lspci shows no PCI devices at all consistently across all permutations.
Copy code
$ lsblk
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk0      179:0    0  7.3G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1  179:1    0  256M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2  179:2    0    7G  0 part /
mmcblk0boot0 179:32   0    4M  1 disk
mmcblk0boot1 179:64   0    4M  1 disk
rando@rpi-node3:~ $ lspci
rando@rpi-node3:~ $
What else can I do?
d
This might mean something's wrong with the board. Are you absolutely sure you tested node 3? If yes, you might need to RMA the board: https://help.turingpi.com/hc/en-us ->
submit a request
f
Hi I also face this issue. Does not matter what OS (Ubuntu Server, DietPi, Raspi OS). The SATA device is not detected. Has there been some clarity on this topic meanwhile?
d
Please create a #1103596074331025438 thread with your issue, describe it, and attach some photos of how did you connect up things. We'll debug your issue and see what may be wrong.