Turing Pi shopping experience
# │forum
e
I just want to recap on my Turing Pi shopping experience. I ordered on kick-starter back in May 2022 July 2023 I changed my order and paid +600$ so in total like 900$ 12th Aug 2023 I get a mail telling “Your order is In transit” 29th Aug 2023 after asking I get a note: “Your order is estimated to be delivered between Oct 27th - Dec 1st. It is because your order includes RK1 which is available for preorder.” 12th Dec 2023 I am told “We wanted to let you know that the new Turing Pi V2.5 will be released in January.” 23rd Jan 2024 I am asking again when this is finally shipped as I am expecting the deliver in January 16th Feb 2024 I ask again what is happening, as nobody did bother to reply to me 27th Feb 2024, after asking again, I finally get this note below telling me “We wanted to let you know that the new Turing Pi V2.5 will be released around April.” Today 10th May 2024, we received the announcement that there is yet another delay for the delivery of the Turing Pi V2.5 Silence ever since 27th Feb, again not pro-active communication towards me directly regarding this isse. My questions would be: With that history in mind, what on earth should give me the confidence that I will ever receive anything anytime soon? Is anybody facing the same history or is this whole Turing Pi actually some kind off SCAM?
u
This is strange. I had pledged on May 2022 as well. And i received my board on 26.01.2023. The single difference is that i did not add an rk module
So i can say that is not a scam
however...the communication is not the best it seems. I suppose that you contacted the team via e-mail, no?
r
The same thing is happening to me.... i also am tired of the delays
t
It's not a scam. It's the nature of purchasing new, evolving products from a very small technology company. Hard to say whether adding the RK1s to your order delayed shipment of the TPiv2. My experience: I received my Kickstarter pledge order in mid-April 2023. Ordered 4x RK11632s in July. Then, changed the order to 4x RK13232s when it seemed availability would be imminent. When the TPiv2.5 was announced, I ordered one and because it was supposed to ship around the same time as the RK13232s, I had the RK13232s bundled with the order to save on shipping. Then, when availability of the v2.5.x board began to slip, I had the RK13232 portion of my order broken out as a separate order. Received the RK13232 order in mid-March of this year. Now, I'm waiting for the v2.5.x board to ship.
e
Good to know! Just wanted to be sure. The experience gave me a bad feeling. But as it seems I am not the only one suffering.
t
I can't tell you how many times during my career in OEM technology sales/systems engineering I was in the position of having to apologize for delayed shipping of a new product. It's just the nature of new product development. It impacts every size company.
r
I dont know how your comment helps anyone who has been waiting a year plus and still do not have anything. I was part of the original kickstarter too. But I was late and therefore didnt get the original TPI, i had to wait for next run. STILL WAITING OVER HERE
t
Yes, it doesn't "help". Turing Machines isn't a scam. Just a small company. Now, if you want to talk about scams, exhibit A is all the hyperbole that spews out of Elon Musk's mouth about Tesla's FSD mode. Knowing how things work on the inside, my BS detector is highly tuned.
j
I am also “still waiting” but I’m glad I did - we will get a much more stable, functional and mature product than those who chose to beta test the original kickstarter board
p
I think it is important to remember this started as a Kickstarter project. It's not a scam. With that said, I too ordered the TP1 and a second TP2 as well as the RK boards. The people at TP have been very pleasant and communicative. We all waited when the pandemic and chip market issues were causing havoc and design issues sometime can happen in an innovative manufacturing product. They can't order just a few at one time. They have to order them in batches. But they did keep us posted and I am working on setting up my second TP.