NAS Software on RK1
# │forum
p
Hey there, I am trying to build a nas on one of my RK1‘s and my initial thought was to run openmediavault, but sadly it’s only supported on Debian systems. Has anyone build a nas with their RK1s or has a working Software for the RK1? I’d appreciate the help since I really want to build a nas within my system. I’ve tried to build a docker image supporting the Debian system that OMV wants but I keep crashing into errors 😅 I mean if nothing else will work I’ll try to make that work but it seems to not be the best solution maybe. Thanks in advance for your advice !
t
Ubuntu is based upon Debian so I’d think it’d be possible. (I’ve been wrong before.)
p
Well the installation checks for the operating system and aborts the process at a certain point sadly. I mean it probably can be rewritten but I don’t know if there will be incompatibility issues later on 🤷🏼‍♂️ If nothing works I’ll be using a compute module instead. Hopefully the CM5 soon
Does this Reddit post reflect your experiences?
I believe the Ubuntu version for RK1 is 20.04 focal, which would be based upon Debian 11 *bullseye*: https://askubuntu.com/questions/445487/what-debian-version-are-the-different-ubuntu-versions-based-on
Upon further investigation it appears this isn’t directly possible. Someone on the Reddit post said using a VM would work. I inquired about using lxc/lxd containers instead (for less overhead). I got a cryptic response (or I just didn’t get the sarcasm).
p
Yeah I see the same in my system. I mean my approach was to virtualize Debian in a docker container. The scrips actually works there and runs through but I still have to make adjustments since there are some errors regarding basic system architecture. Some services are needed that are hard to replicate for me at least. I’ll have to see if I’ll get it to work … I mean if I get it to work I’ll share it here and on GitHub but no promises might not be possible at all don’t know haha😂
f
Have been running dietpi/omv on a soquartz CM and 5 drives for about 6 months now, no issues and runs well. Was only supposed to be temporary before moving to rk1 but not seeing any supportable omv options for rk1 in the short term.