RISC-V (StarFive JH7110)
# │forum
t
Received an 8GB, no-wifi, lite version of the MilkV Mars CM today. With the exception of not being able to reboot, which is not related to the TPiv2, it works just like a CM4. Performance is substantially lower than a CM4, but some performance improvement might be gained by rebuilding with a RISC-V optimized toolchain. The microSD card being used was flashed on a Windows 10 machine using Balena Etcher. I'll confirm whether flashing works with the BMC locally, through the web interface and via USB. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1210100479590141972/1210100480219414548/PXL_20240222_045851980.jpg?ex=65e954e5&is=65d6dfe5&hm=599f0af4e5f37177effa8927643e4ad91963b42fad9657c737924d9274fe272b&
Flashing from the BMC's web interface or the tpi command do not work. For reference: > tpi flash --local --image-path /mnt/sdcard/mars-cm_debian-desktop_sdk-v3.6.1_cm4-io-board_sdcard_v1.0.6.img --node 4 --user root --password turing > Flashing from image file /mnt/sdcard/mars-cm_debian-desktop_sdk-v3.6.1_cm4-io-board_sdcard_v1.0.6.img... > Error occured during flashing: "Compute module not supported"
I'll try the original, switchable USB-A port method next.
r
I am really curious how well this works in tpi2.
Damn thats disappointing... I just read they removed the AI processors from that model
t
My guess is the JH7110 is roughly equivalent to a CM3. The JH7110 is faster than the AllWinner D1. The TH-1520 is equivalent to or faster than a CM4 with compiler optimization. The SG2380 looks quite promising. It's more of a desktop processor. Won't be available until 2H2024. It's difficult to say whether we'll see the SG2380 on a Jetson Nano-compatible SoM, let alone a CM4-style module. While RISC-V is an open ISA, manufacturers are adding custom instructions to increase performance. The problem is that code that takes advantage of these instructions isn't portable across different RISC-V chips.
I tried to boot the latest VisionFive2 Ubuntu server image off microSD. No luck. Probably needs some u-boot hackery.
v
does it a compute modules for turingpi2, riscv!! i want it, where i can find it!!
it is not about power, it is about freedom, riscv is different arch
r
I am curious as well for riscv but this board is underwhelming
If it still had the npu it would be awesome
t
Here is the manufacturer's site: https://milkv.io/mars-cm Available from Arace.tech (Hong Kong) and another in mainland China.
Minor update: I tried to use a Windows 10 laptop (has USB-A ports) to flash in node1 and node4 slots. Couldn't get the driver to see the USB device and, as a result, the flash tool doesn't see the COM port it uses for flashing. Final resort will be to use a Ubuntu server system. I believe the SPI and boot loader must be updated this way. Did it with a regular Mars that way.
I've come to the conclusion temporarily that the only way to flash a Milk-V Mars CM lite (no eMMC) edition is directly to the microSD card with Etcher or Rufus. I also have a regular Mars. The tools work fine on it. I've ordered an official Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 I/O Board to test it. I have been using a WaveShare CM4-IO-BASE-B. I can put it into flashing mode and the Mars CM reacts appropriately, but the Windows components aren't working. Will keep trying ...