Web Server and Hosting
# │forum
m
Has anyone used the turing pi 2 and the RK1 to set up a web server for hosting at home? I am currently building a website for my business and would like to use the turing pi 2 and the RK1 chips to host the site. Also, is it feasible to use Blender with the RK1 to add dynamic features to the site? And then use another slot on the board as the actual server for hosting? In theory: - Chip 1 would host the site - Chip 2 is set up for site traffic (creating a duplicate image of the site) - Chip 3 and Chip 4 would be used to manage background functionality and content of the site (Blender, images, etc..). I am very new to this. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
d
RK1 is going to be using Ubuntu 22.04 as the OS, so you'll be able to install things like a webserver and the backend (PHP? Python? Other?) As for the Blender, I've seen some signs it may work on Ubuntu on ARM - hopefully someone from the community have some experience with such setup
m
awesome. I did seem the possibility of Blender on Ubuntu on ARM. That is what sent me down this rabbit hole. thank you for the response!
e
should be very easy @mburd3 — tricky part is actually making sure your router forwards the right ports, that your domain points to the right IP even if the IP updates. I know dynamic DNS (which is a system where the device, in this case your turing pi 2, checks its own IP address and ensures that the DNS record/domain points to that IP address)
the rest is trivial
m
oh awesome. thank you for the info. would creating a vpn further complicate the issue? My thought is yes, but it sounds like dynamic DNS could combat this. thanks in advance!
d
m
Yea. I definitely will. Thanks for the suggestion!
p
@mburd3 - Let us know how it goes. I would like to know how this worked on the RKs. Planning on doing the same next month.
m
Will do. Still waiting on my orders. I ordered the board with two 32gb RK1s and two 16 gb RK1s. I also have several CM4 lites to swap out. Will be interested to see what this can do. Definitely will update!