CM4 availability? Are we waiting for RK1?
# │forum
z
I have a Turing Pi 2 sitting in its box on my desk, but haven't found the CM4 modules with 8GB of RAM that I want for a not absurd price. Is there some way you all are finding these or are you waiting for the RK1's to be developed? Really want to put this thing to work, but it's been difficult to fill it. Will backers of the TP2 get dibs on the RK1's?
d
expensive but does work with the CM4 backplate
w
Lots of ram which is great but seems like it's 4xA55 instead of 4xA72 so won't be as fast
JFYI
But a slower module is better than no module
Fwiw I expect CM4 to be widely available before RK1. It will be at least a few more months before the latter are available, and CM4 availability has been gradually improving since March or so
But there are good reasons to wait for an RK1 too - NVMe support and faster too, plus 16G available (32G will be a while)
z
Not really a hardware guy. I bought the TP2 to do some distrubuted computing personal projects requiring some CPU and RAM. Storage is less important.
w
16G RAM I mean
z
Also, when you say CM4 availability is better, how? I'm probably not doing this right, but I would love to buy 4 8GB RAM CM4's...
w
I mean that they are popping up more frequently and staying in stock longer. 500 of the one you want were on PiShop.us the other day
& the RPi foundation has messaged that supply is improving over the course of this year
z
Will wait for the RK1's if I need to, but really want to get this to work...
I'll stalk pishop more often then...
w
I expect you'll easily be able to get hold of what you want by the end of the year, and probably much before that if you're motivated
See rpilocator too for example
I got my 4GB modules a few months ago when Mouser had posted them with a confusing SKU - which some people here caught onto. Those were available for at least a week
z
I'm going to have to be more motivated. Need to get this thing running.
Well, I was motivated, kept hitting refresh on rpilocator and bought four 8GB CM4s. They were the expensive ones with storage and WIFI, but I feel better knowing they're on the way. Now to figure out case and cooling...
n
I'm in the same boat. Thought of selling as none availability but no one wanted it 😅
h
FWIW, I have two TPi2 boards still sitting in their boxes and two RK1 on order. Sigh...
n
I had to wait at least 6 months before finding the CM4 I wanted... I had to check rpilocator almost every day... Hopefully you'll find yours!
w
CM4 should be very easy to find nowadays