Jetson Nano Support
# │forum
r
Starting a general thread for Jetson Nano support. I have a Jetson Nano without the developer kit that I plan to use with TPI2, but I'm running into problems getting the board working. I can plug the board into slot 1 and get the Android Boot Menu on a screen, but it's not possible to select the recovery mode needed to install the OS/Jetpack. Has anybody had success installing the OS using only the TPI2 board?
b
Yes, I have successfully flashed a Jetson Nano in the TPI 2. Here are some things to watch out for (in no particular order) 1. Do not use node 1 for flashing, on my system, the usb does not work reliably when mapped to this slot. 2. Use a USB A-A cable and make sure it is not too long (in my experience, a 2m cable was too long) 3. I don’t know what your host system is, I used WSL2 on windows 10 to flash the nano, following the wsl specific instructions on nvidia’s website (there is a link in sdkmanager). 4. The nano should come up as APX when connected in device mode, follow the documented sequence to power it up - I.e set the device mode (“tpi -u device -n 2”) then power the node on. If you get a USB error on your host, you can sometimes fix it by power cycling the nano. 5. You must use Ubuntu 18.04 to run the sdkmanager … if you don’t you will get an error claiming there are no images available
t
I'm planning to set up a Jetson Nano when I get home in a week. I've been meaning to check if I can image an SD card using another PC and then do the headless install as described in https://www.forecr.io/blogs/installation/headless-installation-for-jetson-nano and https://jetsonhacks.com/2019/08/21/jetson-nano-headless-setup/. Theoretically the UART port of the Jetson should be exposed to the BMC, and accessible from a shell session via "microcom -s 115200 /dev/ttySx" command (where x is $nodeNumber +1), avoiding the need for any USB or HDMI shenanigans. However I haven't had much luck with UART and a Raspberry Pi with it enabled.
r
Okay I've got it showing up on my TPI now, thanks folks. Turned out to be the USB cable.
It really needs to be a __short__ USB A to A cable, I'm using a USB 3 one but it works.
@timmy_pete Not sure if this is just a configuration issue but my Nano doesn't show up as an ACM device, so I think you'll have to use the USB mode.
t
Thanks for the heads up, and the cable tip. You saved me fossicking in my bin of cables for my only USB 2.0 A-A which I'm pretty sure is >1.8m/6ft. Might as well order one now and avoid the faff
r
Yeah I reckon hedge your time by buying one off amazon or something and returning it if your cable works. But I'm reckoning it won't. It's a bit weird though, the timing/impedance shouldn't be that different to cause a longer USB 2.0 cable to have these issues.
Okay after some pain with flashing I've succeeded, My flash failed several times with
t210ref
error, this was due to the cable, so if you get this error, jiggle the cable, the connection in the TPI2 USB 2 socket is a bit loose so try applying pressure to make sure the connection is good.
So I managed to flash my device last night but I can't remote/ssh into it. When I plug it into node 1 I can see via HDMI that the OS has installed correctly, but it doesn't seem to have SSH enabled by default. I've tried to connect via WSL and Ubuntu and both OS' don't see the device after it's flashed unless it goes back into recovery mode.
d
Which version of the Nano do you have? A02 or B01?
r
B01
d
Is the green LED next to the module on? If it is, this means the network is working. This could mean you cannot finish the setup because you do not have keyboard/mouse?
a
I was able to manually flash JetPack 4.6.1 on two of the B01 modules on Node 3. However, now I am stuck as it is asking me to finish the on screen OS configuration to enable SSH. I was thinking of connecting a mini PCIe USB controller but not sure if it is supported. Any thoughts?
d
w
Fwiw since this thread popped up, I moved an existing Jetson Nano installation into the TPi. Findings: - only peripheral supported is the M.2 slots. Not sata or PCIe or USB or anything else. Not even the floating USB 2.0 port in host mode. - no UART output through bmc. Through the UART header did not work in node 1, but did in node 4. - at least the NVMe support is good
d
Jetson Nano is the only Jetson device that has a single PCIe bus:
So it's kind of similar to CM4, but the difference is this line is routed to M.2 instead of these additional peripherals like in case of CM4 (Mini PCIe/SATA/USB)
None of the Jetson device can put the OTG port into the host mode, this is a feature of CM4 only (this is also why I used a USB controller in node 1: https://help.turingpi.com/hc/en-us/articles/9767002356381-Orin-NX-flashing-cooling-configuring-and-testing)
w
Yeah, I know why. Just sharing for the next person
d
Odd that UART did not work in Node 1. I tested it with Nano A02 (the only thing that works in TPi2 is UART) and UART works in each node. May I suggest trying again?
Ok, it seemed like "findings" so I added mine (and additional knowledge of why)
w
Ah fair enough yes
d
Hi, sorry first time using the tpi2. I have a jetson b01 on hand. So it's normal that the usb2.0 port doesn't detect keyboard? I thought it was some configuration error I currently slotted it in node1.
d
Yes, no Jetson device can use this port in the host mode. This works for CM4 only
d
Ah OK. What's the difference between host mode and device mode?
d
In host mode you can connect a device to the module, like you are trying with the keyboard. In device mode the module itself acts like a device so when you connect it to, for example , PC, you can access it's storage and flash it.
Jetson devices have this port in device mode only, CM4s can switch between node and host
d
Ahhh ok. I interpreted it the other way around. Thanks for the clarification!
d
👍
a
The easy way around I feel would be getting a dev board like the waveshare one and complete the configuration by keyboard and mouse. I am going to try that next.
d
This would work, yes,