Issues with flashing Node1+2 when using guide…
# │forum
u
Hi, I’m having issues flashing my CM4s installed in node port 1+2. I have two boards, one running firmware 1.0.0 and one running 1.0.1. I can reproduce the issue on both boards. If I set the USB2 port to node 1 and power it on it fails to get recognized on my windows laptop. If I set the USB2 port to node 2 and power it on it initially fails to get recognized on my windows laptop. But if I change it to node 3 or 4 and then verify that I can see the eMMC drives in windows and then go back to setting up USB2 on node 2 it seems to work. Node 3+4 seems to work consistently. This goes for both boards. I can power off the boards and swap the CM4s that were in node port 3+4 to ports 1+2 and the same issue occurs. The CM4 are all fine when using the developer board from Raspberry Pi. I’m running windows 11 and I’m using usb a to c cable. I don’t have a usb a to a cable at the moment so I can’t test that to confirm if the issue is limited to cable type.
d
Hi!
Node 1 is known to have issues with flashing on some boards, but node should not. Do you have any Mini PCIe cards installed?
u
Nope, the board is empty except the 4 CM4s. I’ve only connected Ethernet, USB2 and power.
d
Ok, so the fact that USB C-to-A even works for you is lucky. While the issue with Node 1 is known, the issues with 2 not really. there were some people mentioning issues with Node 2, but the reason it might not work for you is unknown
u
The node to issue is worrying because it can be “fixed” by changing usb2 to node 3 or 4 and then back to node 2. Works for me most of the time 🤷🏽
d
Hmmm, this is interesting
u
I’ll pick up a USB A to A cable tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
d
That'd be interesting to know. Also good to know that changing which node the USB is assigned to like you mentioned can make it working. Will help some people for sure
u
Finally got around to testing with an USB 2.0 A-A cable on both boards. The cable didn’t do anything for the node 1 issue. However I did find something useful for the node2 issue I saw last night. If you connect the USB2.0 A-A cable to the vertical usb port on the board and to anything other than an USB 2.x port on your computer the node 2 issue will show up. Using USB 2 connected to USB 3 fails for node 2 every time and the switching device USB fix that sometimes worked with USB C cable doesn’t work. If it’s USB 2 in both ends then the node 2 issue is gone… Have reproduced the node 2 issue with both a RPi4 model B, MacBook and Windows 11 Pc. So I guess the lesson here is only USB2.x ports! Anything else will get messy.
d
Well, it works for me with 3.0 ports with multiple machines and multiple nodes and node types, so this is interesting
u
Are there any official place to report issues/bugs or is it being handled in this forum?
d
All the issues are already known. Did you find anything new? Posting it here is enough
g
FWIW I also had issues flashing with both node 1 and 2. Usb A to A connected to a USB 3 port on laptop. I didn't troubleshoot and just used node 3 and 4 to flash the CM4's.