Ways to connect storage
# │forum
u
Hello folks, I would like to get/create a list of ways how to connect storage to the different Compute Modules as it is not that eays to understand this topic as a novice. The obvious way to use M.2 PCIe NVMe on the back of the Turing Pi V2 only works for Compute Modules "that have more than one PCIe lane, this currently does not include any Raspberry Pi Compute modules. For now, it is only supported by Nvidia Jetson and the upcoming Turing RK1." Node 1 and Node 2 each have one Mini PCIe connector each. Node 3 has "2x SATA 3" Ports Node 4 is connected to the 4x USB 3.0 The Tutorial for Kuberentes on docs.turing.com suggests to use "mini PCIe to SATA converters" so one could connect SATA SSDs. This brings us to three Nodes that could use SATA for Storage and one Node that could use USB 3.0. I was a bit too fast and ordered three M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs and only realized later that the Raspberry PI CM4 cannot use them. Fortunately I got one NMVidia Jetson Xavier NX and can at least use one SSD as planned. The other two SSD's can not be used out of the box. As soon as availabe I want to swap my CM4's from AliExpress with Turing RK1. Until then I want to evalute other options that migt enable me to still use the M.2 SSDs. I would be happy if people respond with their experiences and solutions, what they got working, where they failed. This might help other people to fing good solutions to themselves and maybe to avoid pitfalls.
What I think to have understood by now: I cannot connect my M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs via a SATA Connector/Adapter, there is no such solution. What I am unsure of and did not yet find an answer to: Would it be possible to connect the M.2 PCIe NVME SSDs via an Adapter to one of the two Mini PICe Ports on the front of the mainbord? Should this technically be possible and might there be some other limitations or things to consider? I bought a cheap adapter card on amazon called "Mini-PCD-to-NVMe-M.2-NGFF-SSD-Converter-Adaptercard". From a technical point of view the connectors seem to match but long story short: can't get the SSD to show up on the connected Node. These are the specs from the Adaptercard: - M.2 (NGFF) NVME SSD to Mini PCIe Adapter Card For WIN10 Systerm 2230/2242/2260 SSD Adapter Card - Complies with M.2 SSD to Mini PCIe adapter, complies with M.2 specification revision 0.9-3. - Complies with Mini PCIe specification version 2.0 and supports 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 cards - Support SSD module based on M.2 slot 3 PCI-e, support M.2 key M card type. - Supports the following M.2 (NGFF) PCI-e SSDs, such as XP941 (MZHPU128HCGM MZHPU256HCGL MZHPU512HCGL) / SM951 PCIE-AHCI (MZHPV128HDGM MZHPV256HDGL MZHPV512HDGL) / SM9512HDGL) 1 PCIE NVV ME (MZVPV128HDGM) HCFLMHCFL512 (MZVPV256HDV128) / 950 Pro (MZVKV256 MZVKV512), 960 EVO XG3 / XG4 / Intel 600P... other nVME SSD. What I got as SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 2 TB, SSD (PCIe 4.0 x4, NVMe, M.2 2280) // (but no mention of "NGFF")
d
Sadly, not all NVMe SSDs are going to work with CM4s
Some people have had a success with key B+M M.2 SSDs, but in most cases this causes the CM4 to kernel panic
I have such Mini PCIe to M.2 adapters and none of my M.2 NVMe drives work with CM4