Please report here your experiences with compute b...
# │forum
d
Now that people are getting their hands on the Turing Pi 2 -- and presumably many are testing the various CM4 clones and other boards for compatibility -- it would be nice to collect in a single place those compatibility reports. Therefore, if some board works for you, please let others know in this thread! It would also be helpful if you let everyone know the specifics of what you tested.
s
Maybe rename this forum "Turing Pis 2 and CM4s" to go with the previous one for "Turing Pi 1 and CM4s"?
d
It's not about CM4s, but the CM4 clones and other boards.
s
Okay, so "Turing Pi 2 compatible compute boards?"
d
Sure. Though I think it's best to keep the "Please report here your experiences with" prefix.
Someone mentioned in the chat a positive experience with the Radxa CM3. Has anyone tried the Pine64 SOQuartz?
i
Also interested to know if the Jetson NX 16s are compatible.
p
Jetson TX2 NX2 works, but I had to get a carrier board to flash the eMMC. Plan to test if I can do so without the carrier board.
d
You can? Or at least you should be able to - set node in the device mode, power it on, set it into the host mode, start flashing
g
For me this is not working, 4GB version without emmc running on memory card tried dietpi latest version
p
I was able to flash an image to it in the TP2, but it never showed up on the network. I want to try again, now I understand things a bit better.
g
Got the soquartz running !!
v
Just got the Bigtreetech CB1 up and running in node 1. (Someone else seems to have previously but didn't report their configuration.) - Using the v2.3.2 release CB1 Debian 11 minimal image - I needed to specify the HDMI output profile in
BoardEnv.txt
as
extraargs=video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080-24@60
to get video output working - Networking worked out of the box (note that wifi is enabled by default, probably want to disable that) - A random USB keyboard/mouse worked on the USB 2.0 port as host, but the Raspberry Pi keyboard, which includes an unpowered hub, would not (error -71 in
dmesg
). A powered USB hub works fine, and the Raspberry Pi keyboard works hanging off a powered hub. - I'm booting off the SD card, didn't get an eMMC version, haven't tried NVMe., will try PCIe/other nodes. - GPIO pins are different than CM4, and common RPi tools like GPIO Zero won't work because they look for Pi hardware, but the community-documented pinouts match for the three pins and ground I wired up to an RGB LED and made blink - Node 4 USB ports don't seem to work. The CB1 only supports USB 2.0, and while
dmesg
and
lsusb
show eight ports (four 2.0, four 1.1, all Linux Foundation root hubs), plugging and unplugging a USB mouse into the rear ports doesn't do anything, doesn't show up in
dmesg
, doesn't receive power. Those ports exist on other nodes; they're part of the H616 and however they're broken out doesn't match the CM4 module I guess? - Node 3 SATA doesn't show up either. Per https://linux-sunxi.org/H616, the SOC doesn't have PCIe, so I wouldn't expect any of the PCIe-routed functionality to work at this point. - Node 1 PCIe works with a random inexpensive single-port USB 2.0 adapter - Node 2 PCIe does not work with a ASM1061 SATA adapter.
d
NVMe won't work. Al CM4-compatible modules don't have any connection to the bottom NVMe connector. The PCIe lane is being connected to the other features - Mini PCIe in Node 1 and Node 2, SATA in Node 3 and USB in Node 3 (if it has this line and it works)
v
Oh, right! I'll try a PCIe device and moving to the the other nodes.
u
I, too, have SoQuartz running. All 4 nodes. So far everything seems to work fine under DietPi, but I dont see any mPCIe boards at all. not sure if its the module support or the mPCIe i am using (atheros wireless) so have some more coming to test with
g
Same overhere no pcie
u
i'm planning on testing the 6.2 kernel against the SoQuartz boards (most likely an Ubuntu nightly) to see if devices are any happier. hoping to be able to test next week.
u
please share your results. From what I understand the rockchip boards need a patched kernel, so dont know if 6 is supported yet
u
n
I saw that too. I'm also on the SoQuartz/rockchip platform. This could be promising: https://fratti.ch/articles/posts/fixing-soquartzs-support-for-orateks-tofu-board/ Please let me know what your results are. I could not get USB connectivity, did not even attempt to try the rest of it (PCIe/NVME/SATA). I may end up going down the same path.
v
Alright, updated my original post with testing CB1 PCIe and SATA. tl;dr the CB1 is probably only good for 100mbit networking, node 1 HDMI/GPIO, and USB 2.0 hanging off the node 1/2 mPCIe slots.
a
I just got my Turing today, but need compute modules to hook up. Stumbled my way into here from Reddit/Discord and was interested in people's experiences. Seems like Geerling also had success with SoQuartz. https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/10sh9qd/comment/j73ksbx/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Trying to look for more write ups, but not really finding any.
m
I've just ordered Banana Pi, will report if it works with TP2 as soon as I have it in hand.
u
can confirm, no NVME - just like with the CM4 there are not enough PCIe lanes to support operation. SATA work just fine though
n
That's a relief SATA works. No clue why they'd add NVME if there aren't enough physical lanes to support it. Is this a limitation of the SOQuartz? As far as I'm aware the only things you can even put into this are CM4 compatible nodes.
u
its been discussed a few times already, but basically the NVMe slots exist for the Jetson's etc from Nvidia, and will have support in the upcoming RK1's
a
I see a Twitter update saying stay tuned for RK1 release date. Is there a rough estimate of when they are expected? Debating on buying some SoQuartz or just waiting
u
update ETA was "this month" not too long ago...
as in , expect an update on ETA by the end of this month, not the actual product 😄
u
mine are supposed to arrive this weekend. will see if delivery gods and time gods deem me worthy this weekend. 😂
h
i got bpi-cm4 runs fine off sd card and emmc network etc just don't have uart or nvme working atm
d
NVMe won't work since there are no physical connection to the M.2 slot
m
For uart, I think it needs to edit boot.txt or something similar to turn that function on.
h
is armbian image one im trying would be a dtb thing
usb3 ports work fine on the bpi-cm4 also
d
Has anyone had any success at all with the Radxa CM3? I have tried Radxa's Ubuntu Focal image, but I can't get any signs of life from it. Unfortunately, I'm also having a problem using UART to get a serial console on the nodes, so I can't even diagnose the issue.
d
Can confirm CB1 is usable myself. Have 3 of them working as worker nodes and have successfully deployed microk8s and k3s to them. Likely not enough resources for a server/control plane but functional for sure. Didn't do as thorough a testing as you since my only interest for its utility was compute.
u
so i've only been able to make it about halfway w/ the soquartz modules. i used the BigTreeTech (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B82MH21K) to install the latest DietPi release (https://dietpi.com/#downloadinfo) and had a few interesting observations. - the dietpi build is using 6.2.x kernel. w00t! - every device on the accessory board (hdmi, network, storage, etc) were all recognized by default. i have high hopes for when i power them up in the tp2, hopefully soon. separately, given how well dietpi worked, i may or may not spend much time looking at other distros. tbh if it has a current kernel and uses .debs, i'm pretty happy.
m
Just got the Banana Pi work with TP2. Basically, I cannot use rpiboot method to flash, and use CM4 IO board to boot from MicroSD then manually flash image to emmc in the first boot. Geekbench score is better than CM4 as Banana Pi have more cores, RAM 4Gb is fairly enough. Will order MiniPCIe to Sata to see if I can load the rootfs from SSD. Here is the link to Geekbench score: https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/1070039
d
Or you can use Node 3 which has basically a SATA controller hooked up by the PCIe
m
Yup, but node 3 is occupied by CM4 already 😄
m
SOQuartz SATA on node 3 or SATA with the PCIe SATA adapter? or will it work on either?
u
Node 3 SATA using the included controller
v
So, for a Jetson Nano, I picked up an adapter to turn an M.2 key M slot into a mini-PCIe slot, and then plugged in a Renesas D720201 USB 3.0 controller and power into it. It doesn't show up under
lspci
or
lsusb
. I don't know if the OS that was already flashed on this second-hand Nano is stock or not. Should I expect this to work?
Ah, it does work with my SATA mPCIe card. So something's up with the USB 3.0 card. And that means expanding a Jetson Nano with an appropriate adapter on the NVMe side is a way to get at least some additional expansion there.
h
Can each of the 4 m.2 slots have an NVME card?
What case fans have you all been connecting to the TP2?
d
Yes, but only with Nvidia Jetson modules and upcoming Turing RK1 modules. CM4 and CM4-compatible don't have enough PCIe buses and are not connected to the M.2 slots
h
Including the SOQuartz?
d
You can connect any 12V fan or fans to the 2-pin header as long as it does not draw more than 2A (24W) of power. It'll run at full speed, though, so you might consider some sort of fan controller like Noctua NA-FC1
All modules that use the CM4 adapter board