will we get the additional RTC board?
# │forum
u
I see that there are issues with the rtc battery slot and as I have not been able to get some CM4 devices and boot my board yet I have not hit this issue. Will we who have already received our boards as backers get the fix sent by default?
t
The RTC PCB will be included in all packages. For those of you who have already received your device, we will be sending the RTC PCB separately.
d
u
Are the boards functional without the new RTC PCB? Maybe I missed some documentation.
t
Yes, I’m using my TP2 right now. It just doesn’t remember what time it is.
d
Or, there is a community firmware in the forum threads, that adds time synchronization from the internet, if you need this. Otherwise, you don't really need BMC time to be correct, it does not affect anything.
u
Thanks for clarifying! Guess I can actually start amassing more parts 😁
k
I got my board without the RTC unit. I'm hoping to order the case when it is ready and am happy to wait until then for the RTC unit if shipping can be held until then.
x
Is there a battery supposed to be included in the box for use with the new style?
t
No battery is included. Shipping a battery would have required more expensive special handling.
j
Has anyone tried soldering the "microscopic" SDM 5.1MΩ resistor to the board? I've never soldered before, and the idea of trying this is daunting.
d
I soldered one that's bigger. I put a little bit of solder on one of the capacitors and used pliers to hold the resistor while soldering it in. Then I added solder to the other side (still with a help of pliers). I also used my smartphone hanging above and recording (so the camera does not shut off) with a big enough zoom to see what I'm doing
t
I received my RTC kit, but I don't trust my ability to surface-mount the resistor myself; my father has far more experience with this sort of thing, he's trying to find his microscope to do it
I can live with NTP for the moment...
d
I used a phone hanging above the board with video recording (otherwise the camera app will close shortly) and with a zoom applied. Just make sure to have enough light. Worked like a charm for me
t
my dad came over (on our weekly bonding day ❤️ ) with his surface mount tools, but had problems with the small working area, resister kept trying to rotate 90 degrees...
briefly tried a soldering iron before gave up
for now I'm fine with just NTP
he's been retired for some time and hasn't done sm work in a while
I'm dangerous with a soldering iron even 😉
d
Yeah, I guess NTP should be more than enough 🙂
u
Thanks I recived mine
I don't have good enough eyes for soldering these small things
d
I hung my smartphone above, turned on camera and zoomed in. I turned the recording on so the camera does not turn off. Was pretty effective